Love is a universal feeling and, although we all experience it, it is not always easy to put it into words. In fact, sometimes we can feel that this emotion surpasses us, that it is much bigger than us.
Love has inspired many poems and novels, and has even been taken to the laboratory, to the point that today we know that when we are in love, some areas of our brain are deactivated, especially those related to negative emotions, planning, criticality, the evaluation of reliability and fear. In other words: love is really blind and triggers radical changes in our brain.
That is why many philosophers compared love with a form of transient madness in which we dare to do things that in another state we would not even have taken into consideration. These intelligent quotes about love of great philosophers, writers and psychologists, will give us a new and wider perspective on this incredible feeling.
Wise quotes about love, from great personalities of history
1. “Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies.” – Aristotle
2. “Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own.” – Robert Heinlein
3. “Where love awakens, the self dies, despotic and gloomy.” – Sigmund Freud
4. “Love is of all passions the strongest, for it attacks simultaneously the head, the heart and the senses.” – Lao Tzu
5. “Love consists in this, that two solitudes protect and touch and greet each other.” – Rainer Maria Rilke
6. “Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents never revenges itself.”- Mahatma Gandhi
7. “There is no remedy for love but to love more.” – Henry David Thoreau
8. “Love and do what you want. If you shut up, you will be silent with love; if you scream, you will scream with love; if you correct, you will correct with love; if you forgive, you will forgive with love.”- Tacitus
9. “There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.”- Nietzsche
10. “Never love anyone who treats you like you’re ordinary.” – Oscar Wilde
11. “If two people who have been strangers, as all of us are, suddenly let the wall between them break down, and feel close, feel one, this moment of oneness is one of the most exhilarating, most exciting experiences in life.” – Erich Fromm
12. “A loving heart is the truest wisdom.” – Charles Dickens
13. “Age does not protect you from love. But love, to some extent, protects you from age.” – Jeanne Moreau
14. “Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.” – Lao Tzu
15. “Even the smallest wisp of hope can ignite the flame of love” – Stendhal
16. “Weare not the same persons this year as last; nor are those we love. It is a happy chance if we, changing, continue to love a changed person.”- W. Somerset Maugham
17. “There is no disguise which can hide love for long where it exists, or simulate it where it does not.” – François De La Rochefoucauld
18. “Love is the joy of the good, the wonder of the wise, the amazement of the Gods.” – Plato
19. “The paradox of love is to be oneself without ceasing to be two.” – Erich Fromm
20. “Take into account that great love and great achievements involve great risk.” – Dalai Lama
21. “True love is nothing more than the inevitable desire to help others to become who they really are.” – Jorge Bucay
22. “When a person discovers to be loved because of what he is, not because of what he pretends to be, he will feel to be worthy of respect and love.” – Carl Rogers
23. “Where love rules, there is no will to power; where power predominates, there love is lacking.”- Carl Jung
24. “I have loved to the point of madness; that which is called madness, that which to me, is the only sensible way to love.” – Francoise Sagan
25. “The first duty of love is to listen.” – Paul Tillich
With which of these intelligent quotes about love do you identify yourself?